Monday, August 6, 2012

Weekend Recap: Everyone Does it

So the weekend begins for me on Friday. I woke up Friday morning at 5:30 (the usual time my alarm goes off on Fridays - I certainly didn't get out of bed) expecting to see the sky lighting up for the day. Instead, I was greeted by darkness. The days are getting shorter, students are returning to school, the pool is becoming less enticing, and I'm craving pumpkin...everything. Fall is coming, but not just yet.

That being said, the cooler air was a welcome change from the typical morning heat wave and I was excited for a cool morning for my bike to work. A few months back, the city of Indianapolis and the non-profit group INDYCOG hosted "Bike to Work" day. I'm an "avid" cyclist, so I jumped at the opportunity to participate in the event, even if only as a solo rider. Strapping on my  helmet and lacing up my shoes, I took off for work on the Monon to be a bit disappointed by the lack of participants. Where were the dozens of group rides promising smiles, waves and high fives? Well, they were in bed. Turns out bike to work day was the next Friday. To make up for the error, I vowed to participate in the real bike to work day the next week. Since then I've been biking to work at least once a week.



Friday night was a cookout in celebration of Kaleb's birthday. We're not real party people, but give us a smoking grill, hoppy beer and good friends, and we'll be just the happiest people in the world. We grilled turkey burgers, veggie burgers and hot dogs. So good.

Indiana, craft beer, Fountain Square Brewing Co, local
Jenny and Dave brought Fountain Square Brewing Co. growlers to share, Thomas and Katie brought Three Floyds, and I picked up some sampler pack of local/craft beers - Flat 12, Bell's, Boulevard, River City, Triton...and something else. It was a rick-rolling good time.

Saturday was spent working at the bar, followed by dinner at St. Elmo's Steak House. Neither Kaleb and I are easily persuaded to spend a good deal of money on food, but Devour Downtown is going on, so we jumped on the chance to sample the epic shrimp cocktail, Filet (for Kaleb) and salmon (for me), and, oh hi, the most delicious chocolate cherry bread pudding on earth. Seriously, it was drizzled in two sauces, one chocolate, one whiskey. Pour whiskey on chocolate and cherries, and I'll do anything for you.

Following a nice walk downtown (as far as my high-heeled feet could take me, which was about a mile), we headed home and crashed immediately. It was a nice birthday celebration.

Sunday morning consisted of the usual, "why is NPR great at all times but Sunday mornings?" question as we sipped coffee, ate toast and read the newspaper/magazines/did Sudoku puzzles. The Go Girl Sprint Triathlon is in just a few short weeks, so we headed to Eagle Creek State Park to ride the course. It was hilly.

Like, really hilly.

But definitely doable. I'm glad I checked it out; I will definitely be modifying my training over the remaining few weeks.

Sunday evening was spent lounging and shopping at Meijer. What can I say, I love me some super centers. It's a great way for me to detox and be alone. I love looking at kitchenware, bedding, appliances and the international foods aisle.

Kaleb is gone for the rest of the week, with the exception of a few hours where I'll see him Wednesday evening. I'm looking forward to spending time with some friends, catching up on some books (ha!), and dancing with the girls on Friday night.

How was your weekend? What do you do to detox after a long week-without-end? Are you preparing for anything major?

No comments:

Post a Comment